Joining Bits Shop
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free App "vuplusTV" for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Ipad, Iphone, Android & Other Tablets' started by ssbmaccom, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Do you have stream authentication enabled on your box?
    If you do not want to disable stream authentication, please wait for version 1.4 coming soon.

2. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

And by the way, as I do not know the OpenViX image, do you have OpenWebIF installed? Which version?

3. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Just as an update: currently Version 1.4 build 66 is in beta, looking forward for releasing the next version soon.

4. marcel500

marcel500 Vu+ Newbie

When? Cant wait.

5. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

It is still in progress - which was delayed, because I was sick for a few days.
    At the moment I am integrating new images to support AppleTV 4K and I want to switch to a newer build of TVVLCKit that also supports 4K and HDR - big benefit for the new AppleTV 4K.
    I hope I can push build 67 to TestFlight today and that this version brings me closer to release.

6. kennypenny

kennypenny Vu+ Newbie

hi,great app thanks.
    but can you PLEASE implement that it remembers the audio track?
    every time i switch channel,it defaults back to "audio 1" stereo.
    i need it to remember "audio 2" 5.1 with all channels.

7. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

@kennypenny: please see PM.
    This feature is already in the backlog for this App (on my Redmine issue tracking system). But so far it can't be done without impact on the user experience when starting a stream.

I may start experiments on this after release of version 1.4. Current build 70 looks like a good candidate for AppStore submission. If I do not get a showstopper, it may be pushed to Review within the next few days.

8. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Finally - after long beta phase Version 1.4 (build 71) is submitted for AppStore Review. This may take a few days until it is available in the AppStore.

Changes are:
    - Support for URL-based Stream-Authentication
    - updated TVVLCKit (supporting UHD and HDR)
    - Support for AppleTV 4K
    - GUI - Optimizations
    - Rafactored communication between STB and App
    - Localization for Romania
    - further small Bug-Fixes

I need volunteers for more localizations in future versions.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.24.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.25.20.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.25.35.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.25.52.png

9. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Just as notification: there were some people having troubles with Version 1.4 so I prepared Version 1.4.1 with several improvements esp. in communication with the box - which in the past put too heavy load on the STB. The new version (Build 76 in TestFlight since yesterday) is faster. Not just bit faster... incredible performance win.
    Also it will come with a newer build of TVVLCKit, improved support for IPTV Channels (set up on your STB) and some minor bugfixes as well...
    Stay tuned ;-)

10. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Version 1.4.1 is already available in the store. Enjoy ;-)

11. Krys

Krys Vu+ Newbie

After installing the update to v. 1.4.1, the application stopped communicating with the box. After reinstalling the application unfortunately, still do not want to connect to the box.
    Does anyone know, if I should change something in settings ??

12. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Which version of OpenWebIF is installed on your box? Lookslike it does not support the new communication scheme...

13. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

In case you own a DreamBox, make sure you have OpenWebIF a recent version. DreamBox went away from Enigma2 in their boxes, so there are not that many updates or alternative images available for old DreamBox receivers. So you might need to manually install or update the OpenWebIF Plug-In on your DreamBox, and this might require a terminal connection to the receiver via telnat or ssh. You likely will find instructions how to install/update OpenWebIF on old DreamBox devices searching the internet.

One more option is to check, if there are more recent OS images available for your DreamBox. At least one user of OpenPLi confirmed, that his box works with the App. Maybe moving from other old images to OpenPLi solves the issue and you got a more modern OS running on your box. But I do not know, which receivers are supporrted by OpenPLi.

As last resort I might spin off a second App („DreamTV“?) which continues with the old communication scheme, but I wont be able to offer all future features of vuplusTV in this version dedicated to users of old receivers.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  14. Opit78

Opit78 Vu+ Newbie

Same here.
    After recent update your app won't connect to my Vu+ Duo2 with latest Black Hole, OpenWebIf 1.2.6
    It says that STB is offline.
    I have two Apple TV's, one Apple TV 4 (last years model) and Apple TV 4K, both on 11.2 firmware.

15. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Are you sure, OpenWebIF is active and the App is trying to connect to the port served by OpenWebIF?
    I have no problems with OpenWebIF 1.2.6 and recent VTi-Image, also OpenPLi is reported as working. I do not know BlackHole Image but I am sure this won't matter once OpenWebIF is installed and used. When the API, the new version is now using, won't work, also OpenWebIF won't work, as I uses the API OpenWebIF uses internally.

Can you try with your browser to connect to your box using the base URL + /api/about? What is the result? If this does not work or returns an error page, please try URL + /web/about and send me the result. The first call should return JSON formatted data, the second call results in XML data.

With old DreamBox receivers, OpenWebIF is not installed at all, and as DreamBox switched away from Enigma 2, there are no new images for these boxes. The old images and the factory images do not come with OpenWebIF and it is required to install OpenWebIF from command line via Telnet/SSH. This is a bit of pain, but it is worth it. As soo as I find an How-To I will post it here.

16. Opit78

Opit78 Vu+ Newbie

OpenWebIf is set to standard port 80
    I can stream to tablets and everything else no problem and I could stream to Apple TV prior last update (since your app come out) but not anymore
    Requested screenshots attached below
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 13.12.00.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 13.12.27.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 13.14.16.jpg

17. Opit78

Opit78 Vu+ Newbie

That's how it looks like on my TV (AppleTV 4K) and on second one in our bedroom on projector (AppleTV 4)
    As I said, it was working perfectly fine on both units before. We used to watch TV in our bedroom everyday but that's not the option right now unfortunately :(
    I've tried with and without user name and password, no difference.
    I hope that there is some fix for that.
    BTW - I can still watch TV via VLC Player on Apple TV (Tuner server and .m3u playlist)
    Everything is connected to the same network via LAN, I don't use wifi.

1.JPG - 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

18. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Hi, sorry, for my late reply. I was very busy last week with my job.
    OK, the Problem ist a bug in the installed image within the Python module, that converts strings to UFT-8 data for use in JSON.
    The character 0xb2 is the superscript 2 in Solo 2 or Duo 2 etc.
    Are there updates available for you receiver?
    Otherwise it might be necessary, that you update OpenWebIF including the Python modules manually via Telnet/SSH.
    So, the queries, the new version is sending to the box, don‘t get answered correctly.

I am aurprised, that so far I have seen these only with the BlackHole image. I got reports from people using VTi or OpenPLi, where the App works perfectly fine.

But I know from a DreamBox user, that all is fine after installation of a bug free OpenWebIF version or better, a fixed version of the Python module performing the JSON encode, which is the bottom module of the browser screenshot you sent.
    For this purpose, I assume, this forum is the best source to get the issue solved.

19. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

OK, I am currently busy with version 1.4.2
    I will re-introduce the okd API, but use of the "fast API" will be default, but can be turned off in the settings screen.
    So far it looks quite good on my machine, I just have issues, when the setting is changed. So it will take a few more days.

20. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

I have submitted Version 1.4.2 to Review for TestFlight Beta.

About issues with OpenWebIF on BlackHole (and some other images) this is caused be a bug in OpenWebIF, which is related to the file-encoding used, when the Python sources are compiled. I already notified the OpenWebIF team with a solution for this issue.