Vu+
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free App "vuplusTV" for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Ipad, Iphone, Android & Other Tablets' started by ssbmaccom, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Finally, Version 1.4.2 is now pushed to AppStore Review. It shall be available by mid of the week, depending on Apples Review schedule. I hope this supports you in having nice holidays ;-)

Fixes:
    • Re-Introducing "old" API for STBs without active OpenWebIF like DreamBox devices. By default the "fast" API is used, but when the About request receives a Error 404 reply it should automatically fall back to the "old" XML based API. If it does not, please check the Settings page for the new option.
    • When your STB does not have a mounted HDD (internal or external) you can attach a USB-Stick to the STB to backup Service-Settings (deinterlacer used per service) and store the Debug-Log.
    • Fixed an issue, that the TopShelf does not update automatically, esp. after the AppleTV was asleep.
    • Improved support for Picons for IP-TV services. Some install scripts for IP-TV download PIcons, but they have a different naming scheme - I now support the naming scheme I know about and I hope this also works for others.
    Enjoy ;-)

2. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Apple was fast - Review already passed. It should be available in the AppStore already.

3. jpst

jpst Vu+ Newbie

Why I`m not able to stream non terrestrial or non satelital channel m3u files on Apple tv 4? I can tune all DVB and SAT channel correctly them from a vu+4kultimo I own, not from apple tv 4. What should I do to watch them?

4. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Where do the channels come from, when not through a DVB-S or DVB-C receiver?
    Are these IP-TV Channels? Then it may depend on the video format. In my setup MPEG-TS streams work on all channels, but the VOD services do not work, as these are MKV streams, which the box can not re-stream/forward.
    M3U files are not used, but you can share them with me for analysis.

5. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Hiya... I just submitted a initial version for iOS (iPhone/iPad) of the App for TestFlight review. Well, it is Version 1.0 Build 1 - so it is still far away from being released. Many GUI glitches etc. But I want some feedback on usability. Usage on a Touch-Screen device is really different to an appleTV. When we settled this I hope the contributors for the artwork will get busy and supply the design accordingly.

6. blazejzet

blazejzet Vu+ Newbie

Hi!.
    Is there possibility to schedule recordings in Your App? I am thinking about setup, where VU+Solo is treated only as a server (not connected to tv) and all usage is based no this App.
    By The Way, I am also iOS developer, and, if You want to, I would be very interested in participating in the development of Your app.

7. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

So far, there is no way to schedule recordings from inside the App.
    This requires full-EPG and so far the App only loads current and next EPG.

But I have full-EPG in mind and obviously - when selecting something in full EPG that will start in the future, it makes no sense to start playback of this stream. In this case, adding timers for the selected items is one of the convenient option, the App shall offer then. But this comes with a lot of work. Data/Memory Management needs to be improved (so far all info is stored in RAM) at the bottom end and on the top level, somehow UI and UX for this feature has to be prepared. As this will require a lot of efforts, I tend to offer Full-EPG with features like timer programming as InApp Purchase, while the basic functionality will stay for free.

Of course - an contribution is welcome. I got some designers already contributing to the GUI elements, but so far no-one contributing in the coding field. Get back to me via PM so we can discuss details.

8. Rasmus Hummelmose

Rasmus Hummelmose Vu+ Newbie

Hi ssbmaccom.

I just bought a VU+ Uno 4K SE and have hooked it up with your app on an Apple TV 4K.

It is working incredibly smoothly, however I am having one problem. The video streams glitch pretty often - they don't do this when I watch on the STB. Any idea of what might cause this?

Everything is wired by LAN.

Thanks in advance.

R.

9. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Hi Rasmus,
    what kind of glitches? Which stream and which stream properties?

When it is a periodic freeze frame, please check the frequency the aTV uses with your TV set. I had a similar issue. The cause was, that the aTV (4, not 4K) was using 60 Hz for display but streams in Europe are broadcasted in 25 Hz or 50 Hz. So, every second about 10 frames are missing. as 50/60 does not result in a natural number it happens, that some of the frames are shown twice while others have almost their original length. Even TVVLCKit (internally using FFMPEG) has a quite a smart algorithm for compensation, but overall you can see the issue.
    In case you are talking about this, check the video setting of your aTV - even tvOS should be smart enough to change the framerate automatically.
    In case it is a different problem I may need a short recording of the stream for verification and if necessary also passing it the the VideoLan team.

10. Rasmus Hummelmose

First of all thanks for the very elaborate response.

I have tried the following:
    * Changed the Apple TV to use 50Hz instead of 60Hz.
    * Replaced the LAN cables between switch/router, switch/Apple TV and switch/Vu+ with new CAT6 cables.

None of which with any luck.

I tried using VLC on the AppleTV to stream directly and it poses the same problem. When I stream using a computer from VLC however, there is no issue.

Here you find a recording of the issue:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/g87vtoehx4wo9e4/apple-tv-vu-plus.mov?dl=0

Thanks a lot!

Rasmus.

11. Rasmus Hummelmose

Is the source on Github or similar? :)

R.

12. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

It looks more like small block artefacts during playback, right? It is hard to see.
    Maybe try without deinterlacer if it is a progressive stream. You can switch and disable deinterlacer with the top HUD (swipe-down during playback).

I would need a recording made by the box, so i can inspect the stream. Optionally you can share this file with the videolan team. They will be interested as it also happens on VLC on tvOS. I would do the same. They have a GitLab instance for the sources and also for bug tracking.

The sources of my App is hosted on GitLab as well, but it is not OpenSource. Basically all development contributions are welcome, we can discuss this offline (PN), if your are interested.
    In this certain case it would anyway not help, as all the playback is done by TVVLCKit, which is the backend of VLC distributed as library.

13. Rasmus Hummelmose

Yes you are right, they are block artifacts.

I've attempted turning off the deinterlacing without effect.

A link to a recording, that also plays fine from a computer or from the box, but not from an AppleTV with VLC:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrc0kxu40...- DR1 - Horisont_ Byen der sagde stop.ts?dl=0

Do you want me to try and create an issue on their GitLab or do you have contacts?

It would be really interesting to contribute. You can find my Github here for reference:
    https://github.com/rhummelmose

R.

14. Rasmus Hummelmose

15. Rasmus Hummelmose

@ssbmaccom Shall I do anything else at this point? :)

16. Rasmus Hummelmose

Any other ideas people?

17. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Have you got feedback from the videolan team? If not I will try to push the report a bit and also reference it in their forum.
    I will also test the file you shared with later builds of TVVLCKit - but that's probably the only thing I can do at the moment.
    Is this a encrypted channel or FreeToAir?

18. Rasmus Hummelmose

Hi again.

Sorry for the late reply, this forum is unfortunately a bit unreliable :)

Felix actually wrote today that he'll take a look this week on the issue in VLC's Gitlab.

I have the issue on 2 channels that I watch a lot - the rest of the channels I watch do not have issues. 1 channel is free to air, the other is encrypted.

Really hoping for resolution on this.

Are you interested in help making a grid tv guide maybe? I could work on that :)

19. ssbmaccom

ssbmaccom Vu+ Newbie

Hi, as I joined the discussion on your bug report to videolan I got the notication about your discussions ;-)
    Usually Felix is smart and reliable and he is one of the main driver of VLCKit projects (the ObjC binding of libVLC). Maybe ask him, if he could invite you to the beta program for VLC for iOS/tvOS, so you can verify fixes immediately and give proper feedback.
    I will also have an issue for him I have to bring up. With tvOS 11.3 beta and latest (self made) build of TVVLCKit Audio Passthrough is broken for multi-channel audio.

Currently in progress (but stucked at the moment) is a Multi-EPG feature for the App. So it shows one service per line and even future shows (not only now and next). You can scroll to the right to advance in time and you can see, what is shown hours later. On selection you will get the option to zap to the channel right now or to add a timer. I would share a Screenshot, but Blazej, who is working on the GUI part, while I care about the backend) has to do some major changes. But you can also join in which may give some momentum.

I can invite you to the project group on Slack for further discussion.

20. Rasmus Hummelmose

@ssbmaccom that sounds really nice, please invite me :)