Joining Bits Shop
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux commands for your Vu+ (for Dummies)

Discussion in 'Vu+ General HowTo & Guides' started by Madzo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

Here are couple of useful Linux commands that can be used to maintain your Vu+ boxes

I found bits and pieces of code across the web so i have decided to put them all on one place.

Use ssh connection.

LOGIN AS ROOT :

ssh root@192.168.0.xxx

(your box internal ip address, ssh must be allowed in box menu)

VIEW ALL EXISTING USERS:

cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd

ADD NEW USER:

adduser any_user_name (any_user_name - the name you're adding & will be asked for password twice)

CHANGE PASSWORD OF USER:

passwd any_user_name (will be asked for new password twice)

CHANGE USER DETAILS:

chfn any_user_name

DELETE USER:

userdel any_user_name

DELETE DIRECTORY OF DELETED USER:

rm -r /home/any_user_name

TO LOG OUT:

exit

userpro likes this.
  2. userpro

userpro Vu+ Newbie

Thanks, very useful!

And, is there any command to see which users are connected to our Vu? and any ipk to install directly in the Vu?

3. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

Hi there, happy to help!
    All of the following commands shows all active users (logged in) :

w
    who
    users

This command will show log-in history:

who -a

4. userpro

userpro Vu+ Newbie

Hi,

I´m looking for a command that shows who is connected to my Vu with an application. For example, I connect (or someone that has permissions) to my Vu from my mobile phone with some application, I can see any channel, but the commands "w", "who", "users" or "who -a" dont show who has been connected, only show the user root.

Is possible from the Vu to know who is connected to the Vu with an application of streaming (dreamdroid, VuPlayer, etc?

Thanks.

5. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

If i think about it....
    1.You are accessing your STB with external application from different network than your home.
    2.That means that you are connecting to your router using the public address given by your service provider.
    3.You have probably set up the port forwarding,so once you connect to the router,router than uses the port that u have specified in your router settings to connect to your STB.
    4.So,once your connection passed router it continues using internal ip address of the STB itself and the specified port.That means once your connection reaches the STB all that your box sees is the internal IP address.
    And thats ROOT access.
    So the root you can see active, is actually the recently connected user.
    I might be wrong with this,but i think you specify username and password for the external IP connection and box is showing the internally connected users.
    So you can probably only see users connected on internal network and i m not sure if there is an option or possibility to display all users also externally connected.
    Try to connect a computer and phone once your phone is on internal wifi network.It should show more connected users then.(dont forget to set up different login credentials and use different accounts to connect from phone and computer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017