Vu+
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux commands for your Vu+ (for Dummies)

Discussion in 'Vu+ General HowTo & Guides' started by Madzo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

Here are couple of useful Linux commands that can be used to maintain your Vu+ boxes

I found bits and pieces of code across the web so i have decided to put them all on one place.

Use ssh connection.

LOGIN AS ROOT :

ssh root@192.168.0.xxx

(your box internal ip address, ssh must be allowed in box menu)

VIEW ALL EXISTING USERS:

cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd

ADD NEW USER:

adduser any_user_name (any_user_name - the name you're adding & will be asked for password twice)

CHANGE PASSWORD OF USER:

passwd any_user_name (will be asked for new password twice)

CHANGE USER DETAILS:

chfn any_user_name

DELETE USER:

userdel any_user_name

DELETE DIRECTORY OF DELETED USER:

rm -r /home/any_user_name

TO LOG OUT:

exit

dreamants and userpro like this.
  2. userpro

userpro Vu+ Newbie

Thanks, very useful!

And, is there any command to see which users are connected to our Vu? and any ipk to install directly in the Vu?

3. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

Hi there, happy to help!
    All of the following commands shows all active users (logged in) :

w
    who
    users

This command will show log-in history:

who -a

dreamants and Thomas67 like this.
  4. userpro

userpro Vu+ Newbie

Hi,

I´m looking for a command that shows who is connected to my Vu with an application. For example, I connect (or someone that has permissions) to my Vu from my mobile phone with some application, I can see any channel, but the commands "w", "who", "users" or "who -a" dont show who has been connected, only show the user root.

Is possible from the Vu to know who is connected to the Vu with an application of streaming (dreamdroid, VuPlayer, etc?

Thanks.

5. Madzo

Madzo Vu+ Newbie

If i think about it....
    1.You are accessing your STB with external application from different network than your home.
    2.That means that you are connecting to your router using the public address given by your service provider.
    3.You have probably set up the port forwarding,so once you connect to the router,router than uses the port that u have specified in your router settings to connect to your STB.
    4.So,once your connection passed router it continues using internal ip address of the STB itself and the specified port.That means once your connection reaches the STB all that your box sees is the internal IP address.
    And thats ROOT access.
    So the root you can see active, is actually the recently connected user.
    I might be wrong with this,but i think you specify username and password for the external IP connection and box is showing the internally connected users.
    So you can probably only see users connected on internal network and i m not sure if there is an option or possibility to display all users also externally connected.
    Try to connect a computer and phone once your phone is on internal wifi network.It should show more connected users then.(dont forget to set up different login credentials and use different accounts to connect from phone and computer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

Hi!
    Very interesting thread. It could solve what's the actual problem of my VU+ Solo4K.
    I have dowloaded and installed new software extensions. Following that, my device stays blocked (There is only the splash-image "SOLO4K" on the miniTV). The remote-control is uneffective.
    But my receiver is connected to the LAN and it can be reached through FTP and telnet (With DCC-E2 eg.)
    So my question is: how to make a factory-reset of the VU+ device with telnet and the command-line, with a Linux command?
    This could save my life!!
    I have read some threads about boxes blocked at-start -up. I did'nt found a solution for now. Could'you help me please? Thankyou very much. Best Regards.

7. paperino61

paperino61 Vu+ User

Hi, are you able to reflash? this is the solution for me

8. Shiro

Shiro BH-C

telnet to your box
    digit: enigma2
    press enter
    and post here the log on your screen

insanity likes this.
  9. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

10. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

Hi !
    The answer is: no.
    My VU+ SOLO4K came with the following image: : "Experimental 2018-02-27". The software version is 2018-03-20-vuplus-experimental.
    Up today, I could'nt perform any backup (neither on an USB key, nor on the HDD), and no more flashing at all. I tried to reboot with many images i put on USB Keys (VTI-team, BlackHole, OpenPli, etc): I never could perform any flashing process.
    I do'nt know why, even less know how to solve this issue.
    That's why I asked your community for a command line factory reset , as I stay connected to the device from my PC, using telnet.
    Very true thanks for your care to my problem ( as I should'nt be alone to get that)
    Sincerely
    jm davet

11. Wendy

Wendy Vu+ User

I do not have a Solo4K receiver like yours.
    Mine is Solo2.
    To do a Factory Reset on my Solo2 I once pasted just this one-line telnet command and it worked instantly:-

rm -R /etc/enigma2 && killall -9 enigma2

Don't know if it will also work on your Solo4K.

12. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

This is not a factory reset! You just deleted a folder and its subfolder where there are your channels and bouquets, your tuners' settings and other stuff like timers.

13. Wendy

Wendy Vu+ User

That was where my problem was..that's why it worked for me.

14. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

Good, but don't make other people think you did a "factory reset" that's a completely different story. A forum is useful as long as it spreads useful information, otherwise it's not a useful mean.

15. Thomas67

Thomas67 Vip

Have you try to flash factory image back and see if you can get any life in to your box

You find image here http://code.vuplus.com/index.php?action=image&image=30&model=vusolo4k and be sure you have a clean formated usb stick

When format in Windows check that Allocation size is set to standard for your usb stick

Thats the most common fail when people have trouble with no flashing

16. Wendy

Wendy Vu+ User

Whether our friend wants to try or not is up to him of course. I only said what I had done myself.

17. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

18. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

Thank you very much for helping me. I'am very honoured to get so many answers to my first message!
    I typed the command you told me to telnet. Unfortunately I got a screen dump. I could'nt redirect it to a text file. So I give you 3 screenshots of my telnet console. I'm sorry to do that!
    I'm very grateful for your help. enigma2_cmd_1_2018-12-19 22.03.16.png enigma2_cmd_2_2018-12-19 22.03.38.png enigma2_cmd_3_2018-12-19 22.03.53.png
    With my Best regards
    jm davet

19. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

20. jmdavet

jmdavet Vu+ Newbie

Well, it seems to give me a hint!
    Anyway, as told by Alexwilmac, I think we have not to erase the /etc/enigma2 directory before.
    In my mind, I thought to find the command which is thrown when you launch the menu option "Factory Reset" on the remote controller. Then I hope (I think so) all the plugins and files which were installed beforehand by setting up a wrong plugin will be erased, and my solo4K will restart in a good way.
    I just tried to type the command "killall -9 enigma2" as is. I get this error "enigma2 no process found"

Then I launched your command "rm -R /etc/enigma2 && killall -9 enigma2" and got the same error message, but the /etc/enigma2 directory has been erased.

So It's the status quo for now

Thank you very much .
    Sincerely
    jm davet