Vu+
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem restoring timers.xml

Discussion in 'Vu+ Duo Black Hole Images' started by themadrix, Sep 16, 2014.

1. themadrix

themadrix Vu+ Newbie

Hi all,

I've just updated from BH 2.0.8 to 2.1.1, and everithing went well, except when restoring the timers.xml file.

It keeps ignoring my backup and it gets always back to show the new one.

I tried overwriting it (in /etc/enigma2), and deleting and moving the backup file, both from Dreambox Control Center and standard ftp.

When the box restarts, it always keep the previous timers.xml file, not the one I copied. Any ideas, please?

I also tried to edit it directly. I see the changes saved in the timers.xml, but when I restart the UI, the timers are gone and it shows again the previous timers.

2. el bandido

el bandido Vu+ User

This is an outline of a method that I have used to transfer a stored copy of the timer.xml file to the Enigma 2 receiver. It does work if the steps are followed exactly as written, so be careful and pay attention to what you are doing. The Enigma2 receiver should be On during this process, but do not be making any adjustments to it or sending commands to the receiver by using the remote.

I assume you know how to transfer files to the receiver using FileZilla.

I assume you know how to use Putty and understand how to Telnet commands to the receiver.

(1) Rename your stored timers. xml file to "timers-new". (This may be done by making a right click on the file and selecting Rename.)
    (2) Transfer the timers-new.xml file to etc/enigma2 in the receiver. Use FileZilla and verify that the settings-new file reads as "settings-new.xml" when highlighted.
    (3) Connect to the box using Telnet. Then copy and paste these two command lines and press enter after each line has been pasted. (You should not get any errors in telnet while doing this. If you do, carefully check the timers-new file name. )

cat /etc/enigma2/timers-new.xml >> /etc/enigma2/timers.xml
    rm -rf /etc/enigma2/timers-new.xml > /dev/null 2>&1

(4 ) Use Telnet to reboot by typing reboot and pressing the enter key.

You can expect an error message from the receiver that says the timers.xml file is corrupted. When this happens,repeat steps 1-4. When transferring the "timers-new" file to etc/enigma2 for the second time, FileZilla may tell you the file still exists. Either delete it or overwrite it. My preference is to delete it, but be careful and do not delete the wrong file! The "timers-new" file has to be overwritten or replaced the second time or this method will not work.
    The error message should not appear after the second attempt. Your timers file should be transferred and working. EB

screenshot_2014-09-16_00-31-44.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  3. Eragon

Eragon Moderator

Try this simple way:
    copy the new timers.xml file over the old one, check the correct file attributes, then turn off the box by the rear power switch or remove the power cord from the outlet. Do not use the menu to reboot or power off.

This method works for the settings file.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    themadrix likes this.
  4. paperino61

paperino61 Vu+ User

Ciao, copio e incollo dal thread
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/come-salvare-timer-di-registrazione.16034/#post-122102

<CUT>
    per quanto riguarda la parte dei timer, è un po' più complicata di come descritta sopra; le registrazioni sono memorizzate nel file indicato
    /etc/enigma2/timers.xml
    ma non ti basta sovrascriverlo, perchè al reboot successivo ti troveresti ancora quello vecchio; il metodo che ho usato io (e sembra funzionare) consiste nel salvarsi quel file, copiarlo nel VU in /etc/enigma2/ nel momento in cui, a fronte del reboot, il ricevitore diventa disponibile in rete (qualcuno più esperto di me, qui nel forum aveva anche speigato il perchè della cosa, ma non ricordo)
    spero ti sia utile
    ciao
    g.

5. Eragon

Eragon Moderator

@ paperino61
    This thread is in English, to help the user you could translate your message...;)

el bandido likes this.
  6. el bandido

el bandido Vu+ User

Excellent Advice!
    Worked fine for me on the timers.xml file.

Eragon likes this.
  7. paperino61

paperino61 Vu+ User

Hi Eragon.... you're right... but I've read your solution and it seems to be better. El bandido tells tht works fine :) .
    It's no more necessary my translation
    ciao
    g.

Caesar and Eragon like this.
  8. FiFtHeLeMeNt

FiFtHeLeMeNt Vu+ Newbie

Instead of powering off the STB, you can simply issue this command in SSH or TELNET : killall -9 enigma2

Caesar likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Vu+ Newbie

Hi,

Sorry, it doesn't work for me. Attributes are set to 644 and even changing them to 777 didn't do the trick.
    Any other suggestion please?

Cheers
    Caesar

10. Matrix10

Matrix10 Administrator

1. telnet command :
    init 4
    2. replace/overwrite timer.xml
    3. telnet command :
    reboot

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Caesar likes this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Vu+ Newbie

Hi,

And thank you. I followed your instructions but the same error message comes up after the sf4008 reboots after the telnet command reboot.
    Any other suggestion?

Cheers
    Caesar

12. Matrix10

Matrix10 Administrator

What kind of sf4008 ???

This is a VU + forum.
    We do not give support for other boxis
    Moreover, it is a breach of our image license because it uses a modified image
    there is no support here.

THE BLACK HOLE IMAGE IS ISSUED FOR THE FREE USE FOR ALL USERS PROVIDED THAT IT WILL NOT BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY AND THAT IT WILL ONLY BE USED FOR LAWFUL PURPOSES.

13. Caesar

Caesar Vu+ Newbie

I searched for the error message "The timers.xml is corrupted..."
    It is an Octagon box which obviously uses the same piece of software.

14. Matrix10

Matrix10 Administrator

Im sorry but , I answered
    This is a VU + forum.
    We do not support octagon box but VU +
    So the discussion ends
    Use of our work on other boxes excludes any support here,
    and is contrary to our forum rules.

el bandido likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Vu+ Newbie

Hi,

My apologies, I did not know this forum is box specific.
    Thank you anyway for your help.

Cheers
    Caesar

16. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

I take the opportunity of this old thread to tell how I proceed (following ad advice found years ago somewhere) when I want to restore the timers' file from my PC:
    I connect to my box by my FTP client (Filezilla, specifically), get into the timers folder (/etc/enigma2, for the images I use).
    Then I reboot the box and I start sending the file timers.xml to the box although it is no longer connected due to the rebooting (and Fz shows me many errors about the transfer, of course). But I do the same because, as soon as the GUI booting starts, the queued file is automatically uploaded. And this way it won't be overwritten.

Caesar likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Vu+ Newbie